...which is why it’s time for a BLACK CAT BONANZA!
First, some of my favorite Black Cats:
When I lived in Los Angeles, I attended a foster volunteer training session though a wonderful animal rescue group called Kitten Rescue. They’ve developed a list called “The Top Ten Reasons to Adopt a Black Cat.” I am posting the list here, but I encourage you to check out Kitten Rescue’s website.
10. They look like little panthers.
9. A lint brush isn't required for a black-tie affair.
8. Holding a black cat is very slimming.
7. Black cats will match any decor.
6. When you love a black cat, luck is on your side.
5. They are a great accessory to any outfit.
4. They don't care what color YOU are.
3. The neighborhood goth kids will think you're cool.
2. Love knows no color.
and the number one reason to adopt a black cat....
1. They are the least likely to be adopted.
It’s sad but true! A 2002 study in the Journal of Applied Animal Welfare Science that examined adoption rates over nine months in a California pound found that black cats were about half as likely to be adopted as tabby cats and two-thirds less likely than white cats.
I know that many shelters will not adopt out any black cats in the month of October, for fear of animal abuse and worse. The shelter where I adopted Theo wouldn’t adopt out any orange cats, either! I scooped him up right before the cut-off.
In the words of Groucho Marx: "A black cat crossing your path signifies that the animal is going somewhere."
Send in pictures of your Housepanthers!